Business Academy College Credits
Save thousands of dollars by earning FREE college credits!!
- The Business Academy is located on the second floor of the Biddeford Regional Center of Technology and offers high school juniors and seniors from BHS, TA, KHS and OOB who have maintained a B- or better GPA the opportunity to earn FREE college credits in the familiar setting and pace of regular high school classes, during normal high school hours.
- Five classes offering 3 college credits each…you could earn up to 15 college credits during your high school years! At the USM rate of $400 per credit, that is a savings of $6,000! And you can earn additional credits from the Business Information Technolgy Career Cluster, you could earn up to 27 college credits and save over $10,000 of college tuition!
Business & Financial Management
Earn up to 15 college credits that are transferable
to most post-secondary institutions!
Accounting I dual enrolled as ACC111 @ Thomas College
Accounting II dual enrolled as ACC112 @ Thomas College
Business Management dual enrolled as MG224@ Thomas College
Personal Finance dual enrolled as BUS114 @ Southern Maine Community College
Business Information Technology
Earn up to 12 college credits that are transferable
to most post-secondary institutions!
Web Design dual enrolled as CS140 @ Thomas College
Computer Apps dual enrolled as CS115 @ Thomas College
Business Math w/Excel dual enrolled as MS120 @ Thomas College
**additional school agreements may be in process—see instructor for details.
- Dual Enrollment—high school students are enrolled at the sponsoring post-secondary institution and BRCOT at the same time, earning credits at both. Upon completion of the course, students receive an academic transcript from the post-secondary school identical to the one received by college students who are physically attending that institution, and likewise the credits are fully transferable to most other post-secondary schools. These college credits stay on your records and are transferable for 10 years, so even if you don’t plan to be enrolled at a post-secondary school immediately upon high school graduation, these credits are still a great value. Thinking of joining the military? Earning college credits are still important as the military awards higher ranks to those who have earned some college credits.
- Acceptance into the academy requires guidance verification of a B- or better GPA and good standing on attendance.
- Classes are taught by regular high school teachers (who have achieved a minimum of a Masters Degree like college professors) in the high school classrooms at BRCOT to create familiar, comfortable, non-intimidating settings that greatly increase the success rate for students to earn their first post-secondary degree credits.
- A college syllabus and textbook will be used and followed, but class time will be more consistent with high school (less fast paced than college). College classes normally meet for 3 hours per week for 15 weeks (45 hours total) and expect twice the classroom time for homework. BRCOT classes meet 70 minutes per class for 87 days per semester (100 hours) which means most of the work expected by colleges can be done during normal high school class time under the guidance and supervision of the teacher.
- Although the credits will be earned at a specific post-secondary institution, credits should be transferable to most any comparable school of choice. Students normally need to have achieved at least a C in the course and be accepted into a receiving institution to transfer credits. “Maine Public Schools Transfer Equivalencies”